Friday, March 20, 2009

Shower Monster

Addie has always enjoyed playing in the water; at the pool, long luxurious baths before bedtime, multiple hand washing a day… you name it, she’s a water bug. When Addie was sick last week, I resorted several times to let her jump into the shower with me. She enjoyed playing in the water and it gave her something to do besides whining & clinging because of being uncomfortable. The steam helped clear her lungs and it washed all the accumulated snot away. Well, I have created a monster, a Shower Monster.

These days, to obtain an uninterrupted but brief shower in the mornings, I have to set her playing in her room, shut the bedroom doors and bathroom door (not latched, just swung closed) to muffle the noise of the water starting. I quickly take off my robe and jump in the still cold shower, quietly closing the stall door so as to not make the tell tale clicking noise. If she catches a whiff of my hydro-betrayal, she’ll run into the bathroom shouting “Shar, Shar!” while removing her clothing and diaper. She stands in front of the pointing with those huge, pleading eyes. “Shar, Shar!”

Oh, I am such a sucker for those eyes. I figure she’s already removed her clothing. As these precious moments are fleeting, I realize that the most important thing I have to do today is to enjoy some watery quality time with my best girl. “Come on in,” I say as I open the door and she crouches down to pokes at the bubbles swirling down the drain.

No comments: